What value does an architect provide during the construction process?
As the expert in this field, your architect will oversee the construction of the building on your behalf. You do not have to worry about the project, as your architect and his consultant team do that for you.
You will be invited to “site meetings” chaired by your architect so that you can experience the process first hand. Everyone involved in the building process, you included, will get minutes of all meetings. You will also attend regular cost control meetings.
Your architect will do all this for you …
1. Prepare the contract with a building contractor:
• Your architect will prepare one of the contracts produced by the “Building Industries Federation of South Africa”
• All you will be asked to do is sign the contract.
2. Make sure that:
• The builder applies the Occupational Safety and Health Act during construction
• Insurance, for you as the building owner, as well as the contractor, is in place
3. Control quality, cost and the programme during the building process
4. Schedule regular site visits and meetings and use them to coordinate the rest of the professional team
5. For any changes during construction, take care of negotiating the cost with the contractor. Your architect will submit it for your approval before issuing an instruction or drawing to proceed.
6. Conduct a series of inspections during the last phases of construction and a final review of the building
7. Issue a list of instructions to rectify all problems or “snags.”
8. Submit the structure for scrutiny by the local authorities. They release a Certificate of Occupation which is essential for insurance and financial purposes.
9. Obtain copies of approved plans and send them to you
10. Finally, hand all of the construction plans, specifications, operating manuals, certificates of compliance, guarantees and maintenance schedules to you.
All these services result in a stress-free construction process. Your building will become a bespoke, functional and elegant asset – and “home” for yourself or your business.